Recipe: How To Make Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream
Aug 17, 2012 07:47 PM EDT
1 quart strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups heavy cream, divided
1 cup whole milk
Pinch of salt
1 whole vanilla bean
6 egg yolks
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
Like Us on Facebook
1. In a food processor, place the strawberries, 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar, and the lemon juice and pulse 2 to 3 times, gently mixing after each pulse. Transfer the strawberry mixture to a container and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Warm 1 cup of the cream, the milk, the remaining 3/4 cup of granulated sugar and the salt in a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat. When the cream mixture is warmed through and the sugar is dissolved, add the vanilla bean, cover and remove from the heat. Let steep for 30 minutes.
3. Pour the remaining 1 cup heavy cream in a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
4. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat, scraping the bottom with a spatula as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream, then stir in the vanilla extract. Remove the strawberry mixture from the refrigerator and add it to the cream mixture, stirring to fully combine. Set the bowl in an ice bath and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Once cool, cover and place the mixture in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
5. Once the mixture is sufficiently chilled, remove the vanilla bean and churn the ice cream according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.
Drinking Coffee May Arrest Multiple Sclerosis, Studies Link Several Cups Can Halt Disease- New Study Reveals
Coffee...it's almost everyone's favorite. Coffee is like a booster that makes one get on with the day. It could be addictive that a cup of coffee is not enough. How do you enjoy your steaming hot Joe? What's more amazing with your favorite drink is that now you have more reasons to drink it.
Chicken Campylobacter: More Supermarkets In UK Found To Be Contaminated With Toxic Chicken Campylobacter
Chicken Campylobacter has caused alarming concern as the numbers of contaminated chickens continue to rise in the UK. Chicken Campylobacter becomes the top cause of bacterial gastrointestinal disease in Britain.
Over the last few days, the world has become a stir after the Purina Beneful scandal came to light, as a recent lawsuit says that Purina, the second largest pet food company in the world, has a product that has been making pets sick and even ultimately killing them.
Just today, February 25, 2015, Yahoo! Food posts the secret weapon ingredients used by Star Chefs to achieve the most palatable dishes at home or in a restaurant. The said website revealed the top 10 magical ingredients that can turn home-cooked meals into top class restaurant tastes.
For those who love to have a nice glass of wine or beer during the weekends - which is just about everyone or almost -, there's a new way to keep the guessing out of the way you choose what to drink: the Next Glass app chooses drinks according to what you love!
U.S. Consumers, Ready To Accept Genetically Modified, Nanotech Products If It Is Healthy And Safe, New Survey Reveals
A national survey done by the North Carolina State University and the University of Minnesota representatives suggests that most U.S. consumers are ready to accept genetically modified and nanotech products if it is enhanced with nutrition and are safe.