Recipe: How To Make Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream
Aug 17, 2012 07:47 PM EDT
1 quart strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups heavy cream, divided
1 cup whole milk
Pinch of salt
1 whole vanilla bean
6 egg yolks
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a food processor, place the strawberries, 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar, and the lemon juice and pulse 2 to 3 times, gently mixing after each pulse. Transfer the strawberry mixture to a container and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Like Us on Facebook
2. Warm 1 cup of the cream, the milk, the remaining 3/4 cup of granulated sugar and the salt in a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat. When the cream mixture is warmed through and the sugar is dissolved, add the vanilla bean, cover and remove from the heat. Let steep for 30 minutes.
3. Pour the remaining 1 cup heavy cream in a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
4. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat, scraping the bottom with a spatula as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream, then stir in the vanilla extract. Remove the strawberry mixture from the refrigerator and add it to the cream mixture, stirring to fully combine. Set the bowl in an ice bath and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Once cool, cover and place the mixture in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
5. Once the mixture is sufficiently chilled, remove the vanilla bean and churn the ice cream according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.
Papa John’s CEO At Funeral – John Schnatter, the founder and CEO of Papa John’s, attended a funeral held in commemoration of Gordon Schaffer’s recent passing on Sat.
For those who care about great food and cold environments, the news of the new gourmet restaurant in a frozen lake should be absolutely delighting: British architects created an innovative design of a super lightweight restaurant in Winnipeg, Canada.
Burger King Tim Hortons merger is yet another one of the fastfood chain deals that is soon to watch out for.
A new study has found that there is such a thing as the brain’s calorie counter, which explains why the brain has a tendency to choose junk food over healthier one, as it’s attempting to fill a quota. The discovery of the brain’s calorie counter explains the body’s need for fatty foods, beyond the fact that these types of meals are cheaper.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc said the U.S. Food and Drug Administration had asked for additional data on its lead drug, delaying its marketing application by about six months.
A new study shows that enough Magnesium in your diet could save you from developing Diabetes. Magnesium is the fourth highest mineral in the body. This means, if you're not getting enough of it, you are exposing yourself to risk of getting type 2 Diabetes.