Recipe: How To Make Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream
Aug 17, 2012 07:47 PM EDT
1 quart strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups heavy cream, divided
1 cup whole milk
Pinch of salt
1 whole vanilla bean
6 egg yolks
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a food processor, place the strawberries, 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar, and the lemon juice and pulse 2 to 3 times, gently mixing after each pulse. Transfer the strawberry mixture to a container and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Like Us on Facebook
2. Warm 1 cup of the cream, the milk, the remaining 3/4 cup of granulated sugar and the salt in a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat. When the cream mixture is warmed through and the sugar is dissolved, add the vanilla bean, cover and remove from the heat. Let steep for 30 minutes.
3. Pour the remaining 1 cup heavy cream in a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
4. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat, scraping the bottom with a spatula as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream, then stir in the vanilla extract. Remove the strawberry mixture from the refrigerator and add it to the cream mixture, stirring to fully combine. Set the bowl in an ice bath and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Once cool, cover and place the mixture in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
5. Once the mixture is sufficiently chilled, remove the vanilla bean and churn the ice cream according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.
The country's largest retailer pleaded guilty to six counts of violating the Clean water Act. The retailer was found guilty and fined over 110 million dollars for the illegal disposing of fertilizer , bleach and pesticide compounds into the sewer system, among other environmental violations.
A lot of information on the sugar and calories contained in alcohol is hidden behind fancy advertising, eye catching labels and deceptive tag lines such as 'lite' or 'diet.' Alcohol offers plenty of fun and plenty more calories. Here area few facts I bet you did not know.
Watermelons are a national summer treasure. These luscious fruits are as eye catching with their rich red color as they are as tasty. Watermelon enthusiasts around the globe have discovered multiple benefits this fruity piece of heaven has to offer. Aside from being tasty, watermelons offer plenty of other health benefits you are probably not aware of. Here are six reasons you should indulge in a watermelon fetish.
Albert S. Hall School in Waterville, Maine had its fifth grade project attacked when the children’s growing onions were robbed right at the time of harvesting.
In today's world, milk comes in many different shapes and packages. From fat free milk to whole milk to 1%-2% fat milk to skimmed milk, we have it all. So how do fitness enthusiasts get the best deal out of their milk? How do you ensure you get all the nutrition from a glass of milk without all the unnecessary fat to bulge out your waistline despite endless painstaking crunches? Here is a list of the major milk types being produced in today's market.
Low-carb diets and low-fat diets have the same effects on patients who go through them, recent study released in The Journal for the American Medical Association suggests.