Recipe: How To Make Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream
Aug 17, 2012 07:47 PM EDT
1 quart strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups heavy cream, divided
1 cup whole milk
Pinch of salt
1 whole vanilla bean
6 egg yolks
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a food processor, place the strawberries, 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar, and the lemon juice and pulse 2 to 3 times, gently mixing after each pulse. Transfer the strawberry mixture to a container and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Like Us on Facebook
2. Warm 1 cup of the cream, the milk, the remaining 3/4 cup of granulated sugar and the salt in a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat. When the cream mixture is warmed through and the sugar is dissolved, add the vanilla bean, cover and remove from the heat. Let steep for 30 minutes.
3. Pour the remaining 1 cup heavy cream in a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
4. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat, scraping the bottom with a spatula as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream, then stir in the vanilla extract. Remove the strawberry mixture from the refrigerator and add it to the cream mixture, stirring to fully combine. Set the bowl in an ice bath and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Once cool, cover and place the mixture in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
5. Once the mixture is sufficiently chilled, remove the vanilla bean and churn the ice cream according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.
Drink Girl Scout Cookies? That’s Right! Nestle Teams Up With Girl Scouts For New Delicious Beverages!
Just as you read: you can now drink Girl Scout cookies! The Little Brownie Bakers (LBB) have teamed up with Nestle’s Nesquik for a new variety of drinks of Girl Scout cookies’ most famous flavors: Thin Mint and Caramel Coconut, available for a limited time for Cookie Monster types across America!
Paul Qui is definitely living the American dream. The Phillipines born chef based in Austin Texas was last night crowned Chef of the Year by Esquire magazine. The former Top Chef contestant and winner was lauded for his creative approach to cooking and his leadership skills in the kitchen.
Food distributor Sysco Corp's executives are in talks with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission to salvage the company's attempt to buy its smaller rival US Foods Inc, the New York Post reported.
Lactose Intolerance is the inability of a person to digest lactose, the sugar found in milk and other dairy products. The digestive disorder happens due to lack of lactase, the enzyme that breaks down lactose.
Baked doughnuts are the best way to eat doughnuts, not fried. This way of preparing doughnuts satisfies your cravings, yet takes out the guilt-feeling of eating the usual fried doughnuts. It is quick and easy recipe as you can bake it in as fast 30 minutes.
Do you struggle to sleep for hours or do you wake up in the middle of the night and ends up wide awake until it's already time for you to get up?