Joey's Jerky Dog Treat Recall: 21 People Reported Ill With Salmonella
Sep 13, 2013 05:06 PM EDT | By Dina Exil
Twenty-one people in New Hampshire became ill after becoming infected with salmonella from pet treats, Joey's Jerky.
According to The Concord Monitor, the minor outbreak has prompted a recall of the Joey's Jerky brand chicken jerky, a dog treat, made by Kritter's Kitchen Kreations. There is no listing on the Food and Drug Administration website.
"While uncommon, pet food and treats can sometimes be contaminated with salmonella, which is why it is so important for pet owners to wash their hands after handling pet food and treats," Dr. José Montero, public health director of the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services, said in a statement.
Like Us on Facebook
The illness was reported in Merrimack and Hillsborough counties.
According to the Monitor, state officials are waiting for test results to determine whether the treats are positive for the same strain of salmonella that sickened the 21 people. The Huffington Post reported the dog treats are suspected to be involved in the salmonella outbreak were sold at six stores in New Hampshire: America's Pet in Hudson, Blue Seal in Bow, K9 Kaos in Dover, Osborne's Agway in Concord, Sandy's Pet Food Center in Concord, and The Yellow Dogs Barn in Barrington.
New Hampshire health authorities advised people to dump the jerky in the trash.
Salmonella infections are common. In most cases individuals don't require medical intervention. Symptons, which occur within the first eight to 72 hours included massive diarrhea, cramps, vomiting and nausea, chills and fever. Symptoms are known to last about four to seven days.
According to the Mayo Clinic, some infections came become life-threatening. There has been no reports on whether dogs have become ill due to this minor outbreak.
More teen girls are getting the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine, which protects against cervical, anal and other cancers, but the numbers are still "unacceptably low", according to U.S. health officials.
Feeling stressed could lead to increased weight again, according to a new study.
A new study says that suggesting a "spoonful" of medicine can lead to potentially dangerous doses and it can be a big medical error. Instead, parents are encouraged to use droppers and syringes which measure in milliliters or ounces when giving liquid medicines , according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers.
Eleven people have been hospitalized following an E. coli outbreak which has been linked to burgers consumed in restaurants in four states, according to reports.
Forget about talking the bill pill, a British ice cream maker has created a flavor that includes 25 mg of Viagra per scoop.
Starbucks announced that it will improve its mobile application that will allow customers visiting its stores to tip their baristas from their iPhone.