Recipe for the Day: Dos Leches Strawberry Cake
Jan 20, 2016 09:55 PM EST | By Beverly Abad
Valentine's Day is the perfect time to get all your aphrodisiac recipes out. When you want to avoid the restaurant rush (and the cheesy couples everywhere), there are tons of meals and desserts that you can whip up for you and your sweetheart... or just for yourself. A staple Valentine's treat, other than chocolate, is strawberry. Aside from being the poster fruit for Valentines, they're also an excellent source of Vitamin C and manganese. They also contain important nutrients like biotin, copper, potassium, magnesium, vitamin B-6, phosphorus, and Omega-3 fatty acids.
Scared of the kitchen? Don't be. Unleash your inner chef, check out this easy-to-make Dos Leches Strawberry Cake, which yields up to 8 servings. Enjoy!
DOS LECHES STRAWBERRY CAKE
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Zest of 2 limes, plus zest of 1 lime for garnish
- 2 frozen prepared pound cakes
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 pounds strawberries, 8 sliced and reserved for garnish, remaining cut into small dice
- Whip the cream in a bowl using a whisk or hand mixer. Just before soft peaks are formed, add the confectioners' sugar and lime zest. Whip to soft peaks.
- Remove the pound cakes from the freezer and cut each in half vertically with a serrated knife. Then cut each of the halves horizontally. Cut rounds out of each block of cake using a 3-inch cutter. Then cut each round in half horizontally, so you're left with 16 equal-sized rounds.
- For building the cakes: Set a round of pound cake down, pour over some sweetened condensed milk, layer on some diced strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream. Top with another layer of cake and garnish with a sliced strawberry fanned out on top and some lime zest sprinkled over. Repeat for the remaining cakes.
Tell us how your DOS LECHES STRAWBERRY CAKE turned out in the comments section below. We'd love to hear from you!