Singer Sues McDonald's after Eating Chicken Sandwich with Piece of Glass
May 21, 2013 11:54 AM EDT | By Staff Reporter
Singer sues McDonald's after saying she ate a chicken sandwich and found a piece of glass in it which has now ruined her singing voice, according to reports.
Jacqueline Simpson, 52, says she swallowed a piece of glass while eating the chicken sandwich at a downtown Manhattan Broadway McDonald's near the World Trade Center in May 2010, according to the New York Post. The singer is suing McDonald's because she says the piece of glass, which was larger than a penny in size, ruined her voice.
Business Insider reports that the change in the woman's voice was almost immediate. The problem is so severe that she if often mistaken for a man during phone calls.
"Now when I sing, I have a hoarse, rattly voice," said Simpson. "I still sing alto, but I can't sing soprano like I used to."
"I have to make a lot of calls for work, and I have to tell people that I'm not a man,'' said Simpson, who is a clerk for the state Attorney General's Office. "Before, that never happened."
Paul Goodman, owner and operator of multiple McDonald's restaurants in Manhattan, said he plans to look into the incident.
"Rest assured I take these matters very seriously," he told the Huffington Post. "Providing safe food and beverages is a top priority at my restaurant. Upon learning about this claim, I took immediate action to gather the facts and began an investigation into the matter. As this is a pending legal matter, it would [be] inappropriate to comment further."
McDonald's has been in some hot water lately with another incident in Chicago where toddler allegedly ate a used condom and "coughed up a piece of the condom" according to the lawsuit filed by the child's mother. The claim blames the fast food chain of not properly cleaning the play area of hazardous debris and is seeking $50,000 in damages.
The perceived safety and quality of food imported from Europe into China provides commercial opportunities for European food producers, research has found.
Millions of people suffer from severe allergic reactions every year, with popular restaurants being a notable hotbed of potential contamination when it comes to what your food is getting mixed up with.
Philadelphia restaurants and restaurateurs have been racking up the national accolades in recent years, mainly for splashy destinations, such as Zahav and Vetri.
Trade could be key to balancing conservation of freshwater sources and food security