Are You on a Keto Diet? Here are the Drinks Suitable for You!
You might be looking for drinks suitable for a keto diet, which follows a low carb and high-fat diet. Besides water that is said to be the healthiest choice due to free of carbs, calories, and additives, you may still have beverages to boost your energy without being too worried about cheating from your keto-diet.
From the guidance of Health Line, we are giving you options of drinks that are keto-friendly. Below are the drinks with 0-5 grams of net carbs; the total number of carbs is less fiber and sugar alcohol.
There are hot drinks which are keto-friendly. Although the concern to hot drinks is the additives, you will put on it. However, it is helpful to add heavy whipping cream, zero-calorie sweeteners, unsweetened plant-based creamers, or sugar-free flavoring syrups.
Thus, you must still avoid high carb additions like sweetened creamers, honey, regular sugar, regular milk, and standard flavoring syrups. There are several kinds of hot drinks to choose from:
- Black or Green Tea- According to Food Date Central, tea is a natural option that contains less than one gram of carbs per 240 mL cup. Black or green teas are more fun with or without ice. Black tea came from aged tea leaves that make it a robust flavor, higher caffeine content, and darker color. Meanwhile, green tea is made from fresh tea leaves with a more floral flavor, lesser caffeine, and lighter color. If you want a mild aroma and flavor, you may also drink white tea, which is made from young tea leaves. Tea is a calorie-free drink that has full polyphenol antioxidants perfect for your keto-diet and a strong source of anti-cancer.
- Coffee- another calorie and carb-free that almost everyone loves to drink is coffee. Yes, you read it right! Coffee is safe for the keto diet. Coffee is excellent for boosting one's energy. It is likely similar to a tea that can be served hot or cold. The caffeine that coffee has gives a slight boost to an individual's metabolism. Coffee may also aid weight loss through the chlorogenic acid that is a source of polyphenol antioxidant.
- Herbal teas- most herbal teas are low in carbs; the herbal teas can be composed of an infusion of dried flowers, leaves, fruits, or herbs. But herbal teas which have dried or candied fruit pieces may have higher carbs. For assurance, you must check the packaging of the tea product before purchasing them.
Soft drinks for most of us think that all of it is loaded with sugar or are harmful artificial sweeteners. However, there are keto-friendly soft drinks that you may still want to drink during your keto diet.
- Alternative diet sodas- Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi are some of the diet sodas you may choose to drink when the craving for a beverage, but they may not be the best option. As per NCBI, diet sodas harbor artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose that may damage the good bacteria in your gut and might strengthen your sugar cravings, which may lead to weight gain. Still, different diet sodas have natural zero-calorie sweeteners like erythritol or stevia; sugar alcohol comes from corn and has fewer adverse effects than artificial sweeteners.
It is best to avoid juices for a keto diet, but few drinks are keto-friendly options like fruit juice or vegetable juice.
- Fruit juice- is typically fruit juice loaded with sugar, which makes it not suitable for the keto diet. However, there are exceptions such as lemon and lime juice, which are low in carbs but still flavorful. You may add lemon or lime juice to plain water or other beverages to give light to its taste.
- Vegetable juice- a nutritious yet low in carbs that can be included in a keto diet is vegetable juice. But juicing may remove the most nutritious fiber from vegetables unless you are willing to drink the pulp. Celery, leafy greens, and cucumber are the best samples of refreshing vegetables ideal for making as juice.
If you want a ready-made bottled veggie juice, you must check the label for the details of pack sugar or other carb sources. Most of the bottled veggie juice contains at least ten grams of carbs per serving, making them not right to drink during a keto diet.
Check these out: