Quarantine Weight Gain: Causes and Tips to Cope Up
Quarantine weight gain is a common issue during the lockdown. This comes with a whole new set of challenges and interruption for the daily routine for most of the people around the world.
If you are getting concerned about the increasing weight of your body during the COVID-19 pandemic, you can take several steps to keep your weight within your target range. But first, let us determine the reasons why you are gaining weight. Here are the factors that may contribute to quarantine weight gain.
- Mental health- Quarantine may affect a person's mental health due to specific issues and adjustments to the routine changes you used to do before. Depression and anxiety ties to long-term weight gain, as per research. Wherein social isolation and loneliness may be linked to a higher risk of gaining weight.
- Stress- During the health crisis, many concerns might run to an individual's mind aside from health safety. A person might also experience financial difficulties that may increase the stress level. According to an NCBI study, which is associated chronic stress and high levels of stress hormone cortisol with the increase of food cravings. So quarantine weight gain is possible for people with high-stress levels.
- Inactive lifestyle- body routine that changed amid the pandemic may also contribute to weight gain. Being required to stay at home often to keep you away from the crowd of people where you could acquire the virus means you would have less physical activities. Knowing that working from home might reduce a person's active lifestyle would also increase the risk of over-eating due to boredom.
What to do to stop the quarantine weight gain?
According to HealthLine, some of the techniques to stop weight gain may also promote weight loss during and after lockdown. Below are the easy ways to stay healthy, and at the right range of your weight at your age:
- Stay hydrated- What you drink is as important as what you eat when it comes to weight loss. Sweet tea, sports drinks, and soda are the most common beverages with added sugar and lack vital nutrients such as vitamins and minerals. Aside from raising calories, your body also risks gaining more weight because of these unhealthy drinks. On the contrary, by drinking enough water, your body can decrease your daily calorie intake and reduce your weight.
- Commit with some physical activity- You may not be able to go to the gym to do your routine workout. However, there are plenty of other ways to have a physical activity that will make you sweat. A simple walk around your backyard will help. If you want, you may also take high-intensity interval training, pilates, aerobics, and yoga, which you can do anywhere with minimal equipment required.
- Stock up on healthy foods- instead of keeping supplies of junk foods and unhealthy snacks, target purchasing nutritious foods like whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables that would help avoid quarantine weight gain and increase your immunity against any diseases.
- Cook at home- Experimenting with foods is a great way to improve your diet. Besides, preparing healthy meals at home will make you disciplined about putting on your plate.
- Follow a routine- Not leaving the house can hindrance your daily routine. However, if you have established a good schedule and stick to it, you will find a great way to build a healthy habit to avoid quarantine weight gain.
Check these out:
March 2 is the first official day that multinational coffee chain Starbucks is serving its new dairy-free coffee drinks, and one of them, the Iced Chocolate Almondmilk Shaken Espresso has caught the eyes and palate of health buffs.