Feeding America Food Banks Need Support in Fight Against Hunger
The Feeding America network of food banks will mobilize this month to help bring an end to hunger, especially nowadays, that hunger impacts many people in every corner of the United States.
Feeding America has created the Hunger Action Month campaign to encourage people to take action and raise awareness regarding millions of people in America who face hunger.
According to PRNewswire, this month is the 13th year of Feeding America, the largest domestic hunger-relief organization in the U.S. with a network of 200 food banks and 60,000 food pantries and meal programs pantries nationwide.
Feeding America has organized the annual campaign to call peoples' attention and bring attention to the reality of food insecurity.
This year, the organization's campaign comes at a crucial time, when the COVID-19 pandemic hit the country so hard. Due to this crisis, millions of people were affected and lived paycheck to paycheck, as per Market Insider.
Feeding America estimated an additional 17 million people, or a total of 54 million people, suffering from food insecurity in 2020 because of the staggering unemployment rates.
"We need your help now more than ever," said Claire Babineaux-Fontenot, CEO of Feeding America. The hunger in the U.S. existed even before the COVID-19 pandemic, as per Babineaux-Fontenot.
"But the pandemic has thrust more and more of our neighbors into food insecurity, and food banks are responding to a sustained, increased demand. With support of the community, together we can end hunger one helping at a time," she added.
People across the country can be involved in the Feeding America food bank's movement to fight against hunger. This month of September, you can help by:
- Being a volunteer to your local food bank
- Contact elected officials to protect and increase the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or also known as food stamps, which is the first solution against hunger
- Donate to Feeding America's COVID-19 response Fund or local food bank
- Vote in the November election to continue feeding America
- On September 10, wear orange and lighting city landmarks orange to be a part of the celebration of Hunger Action Day
- Join the conversation through sharing stories or posting photos to social media with #HungerActionMonth and @FeedingAmerica
Visit HungerActionMonth.org to learn more about how you can take action this September.
Feeding America is the organization that provides meals to more than 40 million food-insecure citizens yearly. It also shows support to programs that prevent food waste and improve food security to the people they serve.
Feeding America also educate the public on the issue of hunger. The organization advocates as well for legislation that protects people from going hungry.
Check these out: