What COVID-19 Patients Should Eat and Avoid for Fast Recovery
Patients of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) have a compromised immune system, and proper nutrition is the most vital factor to watch out for the improvement of a patient's health.
Proper nutrition is essential when beating the virus, and the body must be in a healthier state than before. For those suffering from viral fever, flu, or common cold during the monsoon season, what to eat and drink has a significant role in boosting the immune system. Having a proper diet will also dictate how quickly you can get back on your feet.
The World Health Organization (WHO), the Indian Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) and the UK's National Health Service (NHS) provided many dietary recommendations for the proper recovery of COVID-19 patients in the past months. These nutritional plans should be included in COVID-19 patient's daily meals, according to News18. Here are the following categories of nutrition to consider:
- Protein- Eating protein-rich foods will provide 750-100g of protein every day. Experts advise adding many whole grains, legumes, lentils, soy products, dairy products, nuts, and seeds. Eating plenty of chicken and eggs as well as fish is also helpful.
- Calories- Since you are recovering from coronavirus disease, your body is sure to be drained of energy. That's why calorie-dense foods are needed to get your energy level back. Your diet must have rice, potatoes, bread, whole grains, pasta, and cereals. Avoid all empty calories foods like junk foods.
- Fluids- Rehydration is an integral part of recovery since infections can dehydrate the body. Make it a habit to drink 8-10 glasses of water daily, make soups and broths, and drink other drinks a part of your daily diet.
- Fruits and vegetables- Fresh fruits like apples and bananas and vegetables such as gourds and green-leafy veggies are excellent sources of fiber, folate, vitamins, and minerals. Fruits and vegetables are also the best antioxidants.
- Immune-boosters- Aside from fruits and vegetables, some spices or herbs are an ultimate source of immune-boosting factors because of the phytochemicals and bioactive compounds it has. Teas and herbal drinks could be added to your diet to have immune-boosting drinks.
Recovery diet of a COVID-19 patient reminders
Aside from having all the essential foods and drinks to the diet meal of a recovery patient, it is also vital to keep the following in mind to make the diet plan more effective:
- Don't rely on foods outside. Instead, make meals that are simple and freshly cooked at home.
- Follow the proper hygiene practices when preparing the food of the recovering patient. Wash hands before and after handling the food.
- Give more importance to fresh products like fruits, vegetables, and animal products. Do not pick pre-packaged ones.
- Cut the meals to small-bites, soft or mashed, to make it easier for them to swallow the food since the initial phases of recovery from COVID-19 infection are complicated.
- Without incorporating proper sleep and exercise, the diet would be ineffective. Make sure that the patient has enough rest and starts simple and small physical activities to get back in shape.
The myUpchar.com, India's most significant resource for verified medical information, wrote the details on News18.
The provided information intends to give free education about medical conditions and specific possible treatment. It is not a replacement for diagnosis, examination, treatment, and medical care provided by health experts.
Check these out: